Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Review-The Liar Society

When this book first came out I bought it for two reasons.  One, Kimberly Derting blurbed it, and if she liked it I'll read it.  Two, the dead best friend sending emails had the same name as me, so I had to see what was going on there.  I'm not sure what I expected when I picked up this book, but for some reason I thought it would be more...suspenseful.  Don't get me wrong, it is, I just didn't seem to connect with the suspense like I sometimes do.  My heart didn't pound, my breathing didn't increase, and so on and so forth.  Other than that I really liked it.  I have to admit it took me some time to finish this book because of classes and NaNoWriMo, so my memory on some specific details is a little foggy, which is why when I try to remember what grade Kate was in I come up short.  She did seem a little immature at some points, but given that she just lost  her best friend I'll give her a break.  The who-done-it part of the mystery didn't really surprise me as much as I would have hoped, but even knowing that the book was a more private-school type scene, I was surprised at some of the things that happened.  In truth the ending was a little disappointing, just in how it all turned out and in the fact that it maybe dragged on just a smidge too long, but seeing as it was setting up for a second book I can let that slide.  The whole email thing also has me a little confused because it comes up in the later books, so I'm curious as to how that will work out in the end as well.  Hopefully I'll be able to dig into the second and third book soon, although with the crazy number of books on my shelf that might not happen.  Fans of prep-school murder mysteries will enjoy this slightly lighter story of a spunky, bright haired heroine trying to uncover the truth about the death of her best friend, and although it deals with murder I think it would be appropriate for a higher-level younger reader as well, which is always a plus.  It and it's sequel are out, and book three comes out on the 3rd of December, all out in paperback, so this would make a lovely gift for an avid reader.


4/5 dust spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment