Thursday, October 17, 2013

Review-The Naturals

If you know anything about me then you know that I'm a fan of all of those crime shows on TV.  CSI, NCIS, Law and Order, Criminal Minds, you name it I've probably seen at least one episode.  For years I've been fascinated by the intricate workings of the psychopathic mind so when I heard about a book that revolved around a girl that can profile and then goes to work for the FBI I was hooked.  Recently I had been in a reading slump and I decided to jump ahead a little and start a book that I was almost positive would catch my attention, and I was right.  I was sucked into this story from page one, the research that Barnes must have done had to be extensive and the parts from the killer's POV just filled me with glee.  If there's one thing I love it's reading a book where you get to look into the killer's thought process, and you get to do that numerous times in the book.  The whole plot was a lot like a teenage version of Criminal Minds, although it was kept more PG vs the TV MA because it's for teenagers.  Would I have liked a little more blood?  Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, that would have been nice, but this isn't a slasher novel, it's about science, or well, depending on who you talk to it's science.  And the ending surprised me!  Well, who the killer was surprised me.  Basically I just adored this novel, and I'm really happy to find that it's going to be the first in at LEAST a two book series.  Criminal Minds and Lie to Me fans will eat this book up, along with fans of one of my all-time favorite book series The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting.  It has that same spooky feel without the paranormal element to it, which in a way makes it all the more real.  Hopefully book two comes out sooner rather than later because although the ending is tied up there are lose strings floating around that I want to see tied up, and of course there needs to be more killers.  I also hope that the books do well and Barnes will decided/be contracted to write more than two, because I would love to see more of these books out there to enjoy, even it's just me that reads them.

Out November 5, 2013


4.5/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to Disney-Hyperion for providing me with an ARC of this book in return for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment