Sunday, July 14, 2013

Review-Gone

Five years ago this book came out, and some time after that my best friends found and read it.  They then told me that I just had to read it, and I tried, I did, I just didn't find it grabbing so I put it down.  Now, x number of years later I decided to give it another chance.  This is one of those books that's just, it's everywhere.  And if it's not this one, it's one of the six books in the series.  Did I want to love this book so much I rushed out and bought the next one?  Yes.  Did I love it enough to do so? Unfortunately no.  That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the book, I did but there were some things I had slight problems with.  The first thing that jumped out at me was "I would be gone too".  If, supposed, this book was happening RIGHT NOW I would not be in the FAYZ, I would have poofed along with the rest of the kids over the age of 15.  Back when it was first released I would have still been there, and maybe that would have made it more...enticing, but all I could think of now was "I can't see myself in it because I wouldn't be in it".  Now, Grant is a facebook friend, or I like him on facebook, or something, and he seems like he has opinions that he's not afraid to share, and he's not afraid to be blunt with sex, violence, and harsh language (which is totally okay) .  All of that being said, this book has a 14-year-old main character, and in my mind that equals 14-year-old audience.  I have a brother about that age but some of the stuff in this book, it was pretty sick.  Like, "how does a 14-year-old even come up with that" sick.  All of this being said I did enjoy the book, and I'm curious as to what caused everything, how things played out, and who lives and dies.  I'd like to say that I will read book two and three and all the way up to six, but it probably won't happen.  Mostly likely I'll end up asking my friends what happened and how it all went down, and maybe reading the other books years later after re-reading book one, but because of my crazy TBR pile at this moment books two through six will probably wait a long time. Teenage boys will probably eat this book up, although maybe wait until they're at least 14 to read them, but that's just my opinion, I'm not saying you have to.  The story is fascinating and well thought out, the characters were, for the most part, enjoyable (the ones who were supposed to be at least), and I can tell that Grant put a lot of time and effort into this series.  I'll be checking out his other series as well, BZRK, and if time and money permits, looking into Hunger.



4/5 dust spirits

1 comment:

  1. I, for one, never would have thought that this series have a 14-year-old main character. I like that the story is fascinating which might make me pick up the series.

    Great review, Anna!

    ReplyDelete