Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Review-Crown of Midnight

Sometimes when I read a book, and then I get a chance to read the sequel I hesitate because there's this fear that it will fall short.  I've heard from almost every author that the second book in a series is the hardest to write, and I think in a way it's also the hardest to read.  Although the first book hooks you on a series the second book makes or breaks the reading of book three (or beyond).  The other thing I've found about second books in series is that they like to break your heart, and unfortunately this one is no exception.  Despite the fact it broke my heart I also think that this book was ever better than the first one. Maas dives deeper into her beautifully created world, with twists and turns that were surprising.  I found myself wide-eyed several times, and although there were moments when I wanted to go "really, it's not THAT hard to understand" there were also moments when I was like "wait, what WOAH!", and seeing as there were more of the latter I call that pretty well done.  The wit of all three main characters thrilled me, and despite having two men who love her Celaena manages to maintain her strong, independent vibe, which probably thrilled me more than anything.  High fantasy can be a very hard thing to write because you have to set up an entirely new world without exhausting the reader with endless description and back story, which Maas manages to do quite nicely.  She also mixes in mystery which pleases me to no end.  I can't wait to read the next book in the series and if the other books in the series haven't been picked up I hope they will be, because I'm not sure what will happen if I don't get to see who it all ends.  Fans of Leigh Bardugo (Shadow and Bone) and Morgan Rhodes (Falling Kingdoms) are sure to love this high stakes sequel full of romance and action.

Out August 27, 2013


5/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to Bloomsbury for providing me with an eARC in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment