Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Review-Wild Awake

This book had been on my radar for a while what with my contact at Harper telling me it was getting a lot of buzz around their office and with a picky author friend of mine falling in love with it.  I got an ARC at ALA Midwinter but time got away from me and I was unable to read it before it came out, so then I decided that I would buy a copy and read that.  That didn't work amazingly well, seeing as things have been a little nuts around here, but I finally bought a finished copy and dove into it.  The book had me laughing from the very first page, and it just kept going from there.  There was so much to this novel and there was so much happening and so many feelings I was overwhelmed with it in the best way.  Kiri is such a REAL character because she's your average teenage girl dealing with love and loss and music and life in general.  Although I have never used drugs and I don't have the specific mental illness that Kiri deals with I felt it ALL.  There are those books that are written so perfectly and with such urgency that I couldn't help but devour it all in such rapid succession.  The writing was beautiful and it was all so raw and rich and maybe a little crazy but honestly I think that's what being a teenager is like and to have a debut author capture that is just so amazing.  Fans of authors who write about real things will enjoy this fresh debut and although it's not in prose like Ellen Hopkins I thing that her fans will also greatly enjoy the book.  I can't wait to see what Hilary comes up with next.


4.5/5 dust spirits
*Please note that this book contains drug use, swear words, sex, and mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment