Monday, June 24, 2013

Review-Ashes on the Waves

About two years ago I read a debut from an author in Texas that was wholly original so when I saw that she had another book coming out I knew I had to read it.  When I learned that this book was based on an Edgar Allen Poe poem I knew I REALLY had to read it.  I haven't actually read anything by Poe other than The Raven, but he's super famous and his stuff is super dark, so I'm sure if it were modernized (old-time poetry/works tend to leave me going "what?") I would just love it.  Being pretty much a Poe virgin I really enjoyed all of the epigraphs before each chapter.  Mary's writing was really beautiful and horrifying all at once and for that I commend her (and I mean horrifying in the best way possible).  The setting was just the most fascinating thing ever, think Bates Motel only done 1000 times better.  At first I was a little confused, which was the only part of the whole thing that I didn't enjoy one hundred percent.  The book is told through two POV's although it's not the two main characters, it's Liam, the boy, and a Selkie girl who ends up playing a rather large role but is still off to the side most of the time.  I have no idea if the myths in the book are at all correct but they were presented like they were.  The only thing I wish would have been included was maybe Annabel's POV, but other than that it really was a terrific novel.  The ending was somewhat ambiguous in my mind, but in that case I think it could be seen in one of two possible ways, and both wrap the story up nicely.  There is no doubt in my mind that this is a standalone novel and I'm perfectly content with that.  I can't wait to read Mary's next book, the next book in the Soul series and I highly recommend Mary's books to any of you who love a good love story with a horror-y twist to it.

Out June 27, 2013


5/5 dust spirits

*Thank you to Penguin for providing me with an ARC (via ALA Midwinter) in return for an honest review

1 comment:

  1. You should read his Masque of the Red Death then read Bethany Griffin's books...you'll love them even more!!

    ReplyDelete