Sunday, June 9, 2013

Review-Another Little Piece

I heard about this book quite some time ago, and when I read the summary I knew I just had to have it.  In my opinion there isn't enough horror in the YA age group, and to see one that was a debut got me really excited.  Before I started the book I thought it was one thing, and now that I've finished it I have to admit I'm not entirely sure what it is.  The one thing for sure I'm positive about is that it's NOT realistic.  The back/summary of the book leads you to believe that it's more of a realist horror novel, along the lines of Gretchen McNeil's Ten, but that's not what it is.  It has more of a Nancy Holder feel to it, and while that's not a bad thing it's not what I was expecting to read.  Having just read the last word I can say that I am equal parts pleased, confused, and somewhat disappointed, if that makes any sense at all.  First I'll talk about the things that I really enjoyed.  One, the poems at the beginning of each...I'm not sure what to call them, chapters maybe?  I also enjoyed how there were different sections, and that each one had a title.  The other thing I enjoyed was the mystery aspect of the story.  That being said the mystery aspect also was one of those things that I ended up disliking as well.  That may not make another sense, but let's see if I can explain.  I'm a huge fan of mystery books, and I'm a huge fan of waiting until the very end of a book to reveal the whole story.  But I'm also a firm believer that there are some things that the readers need to know before, and things that the reader can find out on the way.  I'm not sure if Kate really hit that perfect ratio.  In all honesty I'm still left going "I'm not entirely sure what I just read and if it really all made sense in the end."  I enjoyed the book overall, the mystery, the intrigue, the fact that the plot seemed to be wholly original, but on the downside I didn't get a huge sense of closure and I'm still not entirely sure what happened in the end.  In the end I would recommend this book, but it's one of those books you have to be wary of, because you either will enjoy it or you'll pick it up and go "what the hell is this?".  It's pitched as Sara Shepard meets Stephen King, and while I haven't read Sarah's books I have read one of Stephen's and it is very much like that one in a sense.  Before you buy I would highly recommend that you read the first 30 pages, but if you enjoy those pages go for it.  Hopefully the author will write more books, and I look forward to reading those, and asking her a few questions about this one.

Out June 11, 2013


4/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to Harper Teen for providing me with an ARC in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment