Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Review-Monument 14: Sky on Fire

Last year I read Emmy's debut novel, Monument 14, and while I didn't love it I did enjoy it enough that I decided to read the sequel.  I have to appreciate the fact that as a debut author Emmy wrote from a boy's POV, because it can be hard to sell a book (to a publisher or just in general) when you're attempting to target teenage boys, because I feel like they are a smaller market (this is just what I feel and it may not be true, it's just that 97% of the boys at my high school, they don't read books for fun).  That being said I enjoyed reading both books.  I especially liked how, in this book, Emmy went back and forth between the two brother's POVs.  Emmy was an actress and writer in Hollywood and I can see where that aspect comes in when she writes her books.  They're very action-y and I think that they would make some pretty awesome movies.  This book picks up right where the first one left off and things don't cool down until the epilogue. I also have to admire the thought that Emmy put into the scary-science part of the book.  Everything wraps up pretty well when the book comes to an end, and I was pleasantly surprised at how some of the things turned out (although they seemed a little convenient).  This being said there was room for a third book, although I have no idea if Emmy is working on or is even considering a third book to the series.  I wouldn't mind a third book and I'm pretty sure that there will be another one, but I wouldn't mind if it just ended here.  You'll want to read this book if you read the first one, and this series is great for teenage boys and girls (although ones that aren't super squeamish) alike.



4/5 dust spirits

*Thank you to MacMillan for providing me with an ARC of this book (via ALA Midwinter) in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment