Thursday, May 16, 2013

Review-The 5th Wave

Years ago I was looking around the teen section at a local B&N and I saw a book that's cover was a chunk of flesh floating in a jar being held up by a hand, so of course I had to buy it.  I started that book (The Monstrumologist) a few times but I was so busy at the time I couldn't get into it.  This book was a big feature at ALA Midwinter though, so I picked up a copy, and when EVERY children's bookseller at a local indie store loved this book I knew I had to read it.  Sadly I didn't get to read it before it came out, but I jumped on it when I could, and I was very pleased.  Personally I'm a fan of spooky things, horror movies, books that give you the heebie-jeebies, TV shows that curl your toes, you name it I'll give it a shot.  So when I saw the trailers (they're awesome, go watch them) and I started reading the book I was pretty much hooked.  I was also pleasantly surprised by the change in POV in each section of the book, I wasn't expecting it at all, but I found that it was a nice addition and enhanced the story.  Although this is a book that's more sci-fi/horror there are some really deep lines that I just adored.  The plot is intricately woven so that eventually all of the POVs in the book convene, and despite being about aliens there's an underlying theme of humanity and what makes us human.  This is one of those books that starts out with action and never lets up, and there are also some moments that aren't for the weak of heart or stomach, but I enjoyed it.  Another great thing about this book is the fact that either gender can read and enjoy it, because there are POVs from both genders, and on top of the blood and gore there's some kissing and fuzzy feelings.  This might end up being a favorite of the year, and I highly encourage all of you to give it a shot by thumbing through some pages or checking out the e-sampler.  Next year can't come soon enough for me because I want to see what happens next in the fight for humanity.



5/5 dust spirits

*Thank you to Putnam Juvenile for providing me with an ARC (via ALA Midwinter) of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment