Friday, March 1, 2013

Review-Partials

I received an ARC of this book last year, but I never got around to it, and then when I saw Dan was coming here for the Dark Days tour I decided I would read at least one book from all of the authors.  Having never read Dan's first novel, and seeing that the synopsis for this book was a little vague I wasn't quite sure what I would find within, but I was pleased with the result.  Despite having a female main character this is one of those books that could very well appeal to either sexes, which can be a little hard to do with the romance that can cover the pages of YA these days.  There were a few things I loved about this book.  One, THE PLAGUE!!!! Okay, so you all know how much I love a good plague, but what I loved even more about THIS one was that some people were IMMUNE!  This NEVER happens! FINALLY someone has done it right.  Second, the idea.  I am not aware of any YA novel that's exactly like this book, which can be hard to do in a world where it seems like there are no new ideas, (just to make this clear I'm not saying there are no new ideas, just that it seems that way sometimes) so when you come across a fresh one it's refreshing.  Three, yes there is romance, but no it doesn't take over.  This makes the book appealing to both genders, and the male humor in the book was fun.  There were some parts of the book that may have shocked/surprised some, and although that didn't happen with me I was still pleased with the twists the plot took, and even how it was wrapped up in the end.  I'm looking forward to reading the second book in the series, as well as meeting Dan in person.  Fans of dystopian and sci-fi will eat this story up, and the action will be enough to entertain both males and females.


4.5/5 dust spirits

1 comment: