Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Review-Spellcaster

I had never read anything by Claudia Gray before, although I have met her once and now own three of her books, this one not included, so when I saw she was coming back to Seattle for the Dark Days tour I decided I should read at least one of her books.  Before I started I was not overly enthusiastic to read this book, but when I started I found myself pleasantly surprised.  Although I wasn't filled with a sense of awe I still found myself wanting to see what happened next.  Despite the dark goings-on in the book's plot I found that there was a lightness to the writing.  Now, when I say that I don't mean it to be a bad thing.  It had an air about it that just made me kind of happy.  Yes, there were some parts that were pretty series, and it wasn't just fluff, but it had that voice that reminded me of playful books.  All of that being said the plot was really interesting.  I had never seen witchcraft have that specific twist to it, the idea that memories were most of the witches power was new and (to my knowledge) completely original.  The characters were also enjoyable.  Nadia was strong but not overly whiny or clingy.  Personally it was a little weird that the guy's name was Mateo, because I recently just met a boy with the same name, and so when reading the book I kept seeing his face, which was kind of weird (he's not my type. The real boy, the book boy sounds kinda sexy), but once I got reading my mind just skipped over that.  There will be a sequel, and I'll be sure to look into it when it comes out, because I was pleased with how it ended, and the things that were left unfinished compared to those that seemed to be wrapped up nicely.  Overall a good novel which convinced me I should pick up and actually read more of Cynthia's novels.

Out March 5, 2013


4.5/5 dust spirits

*Thank you to Harper Teen for providing me with an ARC in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment