Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Review-Dualed

When I first heard about this book I was ecstatic, it sounded AMAZING.  Kick ass and original, something that would stick with me for quite some time.  Unfortunately I was a little underwhelmed.  The premise was, as I suspected, wholly original but I still found it a little...lacking.  There are those books that make you feel for the characters so deeply you cry and you laugh, but then there are those characters who don't. West was one of the latter characters.  It's not that she was a bad character, she wasn't.  She was likable and down to earth, not at all irritating or bitchy, but I just couldn't connect with her.  The fact that she was so hell-bent on getting her assignment, at proving she wasn't just another girl that needed saving, but then when her time came she either ran from it or brushed it off.  It also took me some time to actually get into.  I was expecting the action to happen right away, but it took a good chunk of the book for all of West's action to happen.  All of this being said I was really pleased with the action sequences that Elsie wrote, and although a little dull at times she was obviously setting up the world that she would dive deeper into in book two.  I have my suspicious about what will go down in book two.  Personally I would LOVE to see this book made into a movie, because on the big screen (or the small screen as a TV show) I feel like it would do a superb job.  I can in vision it in my head, how I would hope everything would get laid out, and I would totally watch it.  Although this one fell a little short I will most likely pick up the second book to see if my suspicions are correct.

Out February 26, 2013


4/5 dust spirits

*Thank you to Random House for providing me with an ARC (via ALA Midwinter) in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment