Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Review-The Madman's Daughter

This was another one of the books I got from my supposed-to-have-gone-to-but-I-got-sick blogger dinner with Harper.  This book is one of those highly anticipated debut novels that will have a media frenzy and what not.  After having read it I can see why, because I was very pleased with the result.  Personally I thought this was a delicious novel, filled with stolen kisses and hot boys, along with disfigured creatures and grotesque things that were taken from nightmares.  It was dark, which is probably a huge part of the reason that I loved it, and it was also a mystery of sorts.  There was also part of it that dove into the nature of man and beast, and what humanity truly means, along with how far science should be allowed to go before having strayed too far.  The other thing I loved about this book were the characters.  Two boys, each with secrets to hide, along with the girl who is more than she seems.  It was fascinating watching as they layers were pulled back and the story (and origin) of the characters was revealed.  This was one book that did catch me off guard a few times, although I was suspicious before everything played out, so I can't say I was blindsided. It says on the back of the book that this story was based off of H. G. Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau, which I have never read, but from reading the summary I can conclude this was probably faithful enough to the book to be associated with it. It seemed to wrap itself up quite nicely, and while I COULD see a second novel with the same characters I'm almost hoping for a companion novel (book two is supposed to be based off of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde) and not a direct sequel, although regardless of which it is I'll still read it.  I do have to warn you that there are parts of this novel that are pretty dark, so I wouldn't suggest anyone younger than 16 read it, and squeamish people might want to tread lightly.

Out January 29, 2013


5/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to Harper for the ARC in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment