Friday, January 11, 2013

Review-Level 2

I first heard about this book when I stumbled upon Lenore's blog and I was instantly fascinated.  There are SO many things I loved about this novel, so let's start from the top. First, the plot.  It was SO original.  Fresh and exciting and intriguing I couldn't finish this book fast enough.   I think it's classified as a dystopian novel, but it's set in the afterlife.  So, I guess since the afterlife is supposed to be a perfect world and it turns out its not in this book that counts as a dystopian...right?  The second thing I loved was the style it was written in.  I'm sure there are going to be some people who won't like it, but I was not one of those people.  In the book the main form of entertainment for those in Level 2 is reliving memories, and so throughout the book we see Felicia's life through various memories.  Things unfold piece by piece and with every memory we see we get another bit of information that we can use to put her past together.  Then there's the world in general.  Can I just say that I would LOVE to be able to do what Felicia can do when she gets stronger!  Lenore takes a whole new spin on the afterlife and angels, and dystopian novels as a whole.  Fair warning, there is some religion that is integrated into the novel, but it's not a huge part of the book and it doesn't take over the novel so much that if you're not religious you might get sick of it.  All in all this is a FABULOUS debut that will speak to a lot of people in terms of character and plot, and I can't wait for the second installment (and maybe if I'm really luck a third installment).

Out January 15, 2013


5/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to Simon & Schuster for the ARC in return for an honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment