Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Review-The Darkest Minds

When I first heard about this book I was really excited because, I mean, how good did it sound!? I'll answer that, REALLY good!  And EVERYONE is talking about how great it was so when I picked it up I was a little...confused.  I liked the first chapter (I've always been a fan of plagues) but as it went on I found myself both confused and bored.  So all of the kids alive have powers, which is cool, but we're just thrust into the world and the main character, Ruby, doesn't want to use her powers, nor do we know what she can actually do for sure until about 300 pages in. Too long if you ask me.  It also pissed me off that she was one of a small percentage of the kids that ended up living, but she was all like "I have these supernatural powers, poor me!" No, not poor you, poor all the kids who died!  The other thing that bugged me (and does a lot of the time when books have plagues) is that THERE IS NO VIRUS THAT PICKS OUT AGE GROUPS AND INFECTS EVERYONE!  Now that being said I did enjoy the fact that Ruby was a strong character in the sense that she didn't lean on a guy for help (although she did start out a little whiny).  I also enjoyed the boy, Liam, because he sounds very yummy, and I wouldn't mind a boy like him.  The ending did really pick it up, and made the book a read that was worth the time it took to read, but I personally can't say I see what everyone else saw in it.  I MAY read the sequel, but it's not one that I will hurry to pick up or scramble to get an ARC of, but if I have the time I may decide to see where it goes from here.  This book wasn't really one for me, but please don't let that stop you from picking it up and giving it a shot. Just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean you won't love it.


3.5/5 dust spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment