Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Review-Days of Blood and Starlight

Last year I read Daughter of Smoke and Bone and was just blown away, so when Days of Blood and Starlight came out I pounced on it.  Unfortunately I was sick and didn't feel like reading, and then when I did I was either in school (yes, I read during class) or I was squashed under a pile of homework (makeup and otherwise).  Now, to start off let me say I'm not sure if I love or hate this book. (Wait, BEFORE you freak out I don't mean hate as it "it was terrible" but as in "WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO MY HEART!?" hate).  There are few books that manage to give me shivers, not because of what happens in them, but because of the way the words are strung together.  This is one of those few books, just like it's predecessor was.  I can honestly say if I ever got a tattoo I would definitely consider getting a quote from this book tattooed on my body.  Yes, it's a YA novel and it's paranormal romance, but there are SO many things in it that ring true to real life.  It's like the whole book is one big poem that just breaks your heart and, at the same time, sticks it back together again (if not in a different shape).  There was so much packed into this novel, and I loved it all so much.  All of the different points of view were so great, and there were twists and turns that I didn't see coming (so extra points to Laini).  I am both happy and sad at the same time that I have finished this novel, and that the last book will be coming out (if it stays according to schedule, it might not) next year.  If you haven't read the first book it's out in paperback now so you really have no excuse, and if you have read the first book and you haven't gotten to this one get on it! (I also have an extra copy, so stay tuned for a giveaway).  The story is so deep and thought out, the characters have so many levels to them (and I just LOVE how Karou stands on her own. She is really such a fierce heroin), and the world-building. GOD the world-building!  Laini is another author's head I would love to live in, the beauty of her writing is something not found often in today (in YA or adult books alike) and I have no doubt this will become a best seller just like the first book, and now more than ever I need to read her short stories and the books she wrote before these.


5+/5

No comments:

Post a Comment