Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Review-Monument 14

I got an ARC of this book along with three other ARCs from MacMillan, and I decided to read it in preparation for the event that Emmy is going to be at in my city.  I was really excited for this book because it's about a great catastrophe, and for some crazy reason I like reading about what happens when the world ends and not everyone dies.  As I started reading this book though I found that it was a lot like a teenage version of The Mist now, it's not EXACTLY like that, there is no mist in this book, and no monsters (other than some of the people) but it's about people trapped in a store while the world around them falls apart.  It didn't fully live up to my expectations, but it was a good enough read.  There were some things I did like though.  First, it was told from a boy's point of view.  There are very few novels out there told from a guy's POV, and when I find one I'm pleased, because guys should read too.  Second, people died and there was blood. Now that probably makes me sound like a horrible person, but come on, it's the end of the world as we know it.  If there is no blood and no one dies how is that the end of the world in any way?  The thing that made me enjoy this novel a little less than some of the other novels I have read would have to be the style.  It's not a bad style, in fact, it's rather unique, it's just that I got the feeling it was supposed to be like a diary from the main character's point of view, and of course I'm fine with that, but sometimes I didn't get that sense.  It felt as if the story was half diary half actual storytelling, and I'm not sure if that was on purpose, or if that was maybe just an accident, but either way it put me off just a little bit.  I will most likely be picking up the next one when it comes out next summer though, because I want to see what happens to all of the characters even though this one did tie up the ending in a way that you weren't just left with something like BAM.  If you're a guy or looking for a book for a teenage boy, or maybe even just looking for a short book to read quickly this book might interest you.


Out June 5, 2012


4/5 dust spirits


1 comment:

  1. My brother is actually fan girling over your review right now, "death, blood and the end of the world? sounds like my type of read!".... I kid you not! he just said tht!... typical :)haha! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete