Sunday, October 30, 2011

In Which I Talk About Books (2)

So you guys seemed to really like the last one of these I did, and I came up with (okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, I borrowed a few too) some more!  Without further adue (which is a word dang nabbit Blogger!) a few more little lists with only 5 books so I don't kill your eyes, cause you will need them to read!

FIRST; Books with titles that made me want to read/buy them
1. A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend by Emily Horner.  I found this book at Borders before they went out of business and I mean, isn't that a great title? Well, not great as in happy, but great as in like...what-the-hell-is-gonna-happen-in-this-book-great
2. Au Revior, Crazy European Chick by Joe Schreiber. Okay, this title is just too amazing for words really.
3. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith. HOW FUN DOES THIS BOOK SOUND!?
4. The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting. Yeah, I'm kinda morbid, but I saw this title and I was like "MINE!".
5. The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen. ANOTHER FUN SOUNDING BOOK!

SECOND; Books that shouldn't be read in public.
1. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David Levithan and John Green.  This book had me laughing my a** off.  If you read it in public you're gonna get some weird stares, mostly stares that will be saying "what the hell is so funny!?".
2. Dash & Lily's Book Of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. Are you seeing a theme here? David Levithan is really funny! Rachel was brilliant too, don't count her out.
3. Looking For Alaska by John Green. I cried like three times during this book, which is saying something, because very few books make me cry!
4. A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young. Another book that made me cry. The ending, THE ENDING!!! I kept going, "I'm not going to cry, I'm not going to cry, I'm not going to cry" and guess what, I cried.
5. The Girl Next Door by Selene Castrovilla. The ending will get you! Have you crying like a baby. Trust me, It happened to me!
EXTRA; Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.  I think the ending to this one was obvious from the start, and even though I've read if three times it still makes me cry every time! EVERY TIME!

THIRD; Series that I have more than one book in but still haven't read.
1. The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins. Here's this series again! I have the first two because I started to read the first one, bought the second one, and then never finished the first one!
2. Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber.  Okay, so this is all in one book, but still, it counts.
3. Curse Workers Series by Holly Black.  I'm listening to White Cat right now, but I have both the first and second one.  I got them so they would be signed, but I really wanted to read them, swear!
4. House of Night Series by P. C. and Kristen Cast. My mom got me the first two or three at Costco because they were cheap, and now they're just sitting on my book shelf waiting to be read.
5. The Wicked Lovely Series by Melissa Marr.  I have the first two, and they're signed. I've had them for years, at least 4.  My friend got them signed for me and I just keep putting them off, even though my friend said they were awesome.

FOURTH; Books that don't have sequels but should.
1. Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey. I know it's not out yet, but when you read the book you'll see how much this book NEEDS a sequel! And it's not because it's unfinished, but because the story would be AWESOME even if it was continued.
2. Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma. I'm sure this book was ended the way it was for a reason, open to interpretation, like the movie Inception, but I kinda want to know the TRUTH, and Nova built such a great world that I didn't want to leave and wouldn't mind coming back to.
3. Forgotten by Cat Patrick.  Another book that doesn't need a sequel to tie up loose ends, but just because the sequel would be amazing if it were written.
4. The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab.  I would really love to see how this story would continue if there was a sequel.  Would Lexi find another ghost to face, another witch?  Maybe if it was even a companion novel set in the same world?
5. Possess by Gretchen McNeil. This book MAY have a sequel, but nothing has been announced yet.  Gretchen says it will be a series, but seeing as it hasn't been contracted nothing is official yet.

FIFTH; Series I've started but not finished.
1. Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead.  For some reason these books didn't grab me like they did for other people, so even though I have all of them, and they're all signed too, I just see no need to finish them.  Also, I feel I know where the story went, so there is no reason for me to read them.
2. The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer.  I've only read the first book, and it's not that it wasn't bad, I just don't feel a burning desire to finish this series either.
3. The Forest of Hands and Teeth Series by Carrie Ryan.  I've read the first two, and I want to know what happens in the last one, but it's a HB book and I haven't even bought it yet, so maybe when that book comes along and finds a way to my shelves I'll read it.  This one I do want to read, I just have other books I want to read more!
4. Possessions Series by Nancy Holder.  I have the second book in this series, I bought it and everything, but again there is no dying need to read it RIGHT NOW! Although I did like the first one, very spooky.
5. Bad Girls Don't Die Series by Katie Alender.  I have an ARC of the second book AND a finished copy of the second book but I've still yet to get to it.  The finished copy is sitting only about a yard or so away from me right now, staring at me and going "you were supposed to read me" and it's making me feel bad. Maybe I should put a blanket over it so it can't see me...

SIXTH; Morbid books I own.
1. The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting. Yeah, it's a YA book, but it's about a girl who finds dead bodies, I mean, for YA that's pretty morbid, but I loved every page and can't wait for the third one!
2. Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves.  This is about killer twins with a serial killer father.  I've heard it's gory and nasty, and that makes me want to read it even more!
3. Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves.  Same author, same crazy mind, same basic idea, kinda nasty and not a book for everyone, but definitely one for me.
4. The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith.  This is supposed to be a grizzly book and again I feel the need to read it.  I like grizzly.
5. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan.  Ryan isn't afraid to kill off characters, and the book has zombies in it.  That's pretty morbid if I do say so myself.

SEVENTH; Fluffy books I own.
1. Both Stephanie Perkins books.  Yes, they're light and fluffy and I love them both very much.  I love morbid things and I love fluffy things, I'm a walking contradiction.
2. Epic Fail by Claire LeZebnic. A fluffy book with really no terribly bad stuff at all in it, and I read it in a day. Yay for happy books!
3. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. A happy book with music in it! This book actually has one of my favorite quotes ever in it. I just love it so much.
4. The Education of Hailey Kendrick by Eileen Cook.  This book was so much fun to read, a nice break from all of the crazier books out there.  Just a book about a girl learning to be herself.
5. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan.  This book had me laughing from the first page and just like the other book I read by these authors was just so much fun.  A little adventure, a little romance, another great quote or two. Loved it!

EIGHTH; 24 hour reads.
1. Epic Fail by Claire LeZebnic.  Yup, this book I read in one day. It was fun and I just couldn't seem to help myself.
2. The D.U.F.F. by Kody Keplinger. I started this book on December 31st and finished it that same day.  I put it down a few times but just kept picking it right back up!  An awesome debut.
3. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan.  I read this book in 7th grade...or maybe it was 8th... This book is short, so it's not hard to believe I read it in one day.
4. Impulse by Ellen Hopkins.  It was a weekend, I read in the car, on the couch, didn't watch TV, finished it right before bed. I needed to see how it ended. It just pulled me in.
5. Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles. I read through two lunches even though I was only supposed to have one (it was an accident I swear!) and then I might have started reading it again right after I finished homework and stayed up a little past my bedtime to finish and write the review. But shh, don't tell my mom.

NINTH; Books you might not expect me to read.
1. Infected by Scott Sigler.  I saw this book at my local Barnes & Noble and I picked it up.  I have a strange fascination with crazy diseases (fictional or real), and even though it was an adult book I picked it up and  read it anyways. It was good.
2. The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris.  When I was watching the movie (which is AMAZING by the way) I saw that it was based on the book, and then, because I love the movie so much, I just had to read it.  So I did.
3. The Mist by Stephen King.  My friend recommended this to me, and seeing as I'm a horror freak I had to read it.  I got it for a dollar and it took me a day to read.
4. Be More Chill by Ned Vizzini. This book is about a guy, told from a guy's point of view, and talks about sex, women, and pretty much everything else a teenage boy deals with, but I'm not a teenage boy, and this book is not as well known as his other book, but still good!
5. Rx by Tracy Lynn. Another not so well known book. It's about a high school drug dealer, and no, not illegal drugs, but prescription drugs.  I really enjoyed this book and read it years and years ago.  If you've heard of this book I'm very impressed!

TENTH; Books with rave reviews that I didn't find amazing.
1. If I Stay by Gayle Forman.  I think it's because so many people had said how amazing this book was, but it really fell short for me.  I wasn't blown away like so many other people were.
2. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I had to read this for school and I know that adults just LOVE this book, but I think it's one of the most depressing books I've ever read.  I will never read it again and curse whoever it was that called this book inspirational.
3. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. People love these books, I just didn't.  I didn't love them when I first tried them out a good four years ago and I didn't love them when I read them because Richelle was doing a signing and the last book had come out.
4. Pulse of Heroes by A. Jacob Sweeny. This is an indie book and the author sent me a copy for review and signed it and everything.  I really wanted to love this book, I really did, because it sounded really good, but I just found the main character just a little too immature to be real. I also found it just a little slow, but don't let that stop you from picking it up and loving it!
5. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson. I was really excited about this book and people had been saying it was great, but I was just disappointed with the ending and how everything turned out.  I'll probably read the next one though.

3 comments: