Saturday, September 10, 2011

Review-The Eleventh Plague

The Eleventh Plague is, at it's core, a novel about the end of the world and what happens next, but it's also a book about the basic instincts of human nature.  Most of the time I don't dive deep into book because, in all honesty, it bores me.  I know, you have to do it in school, but whenever we have to I want to shoot myself.  With this book though I think it's really had not to.  Maybe my take on the book is not at ALL what Jeff wanted to convey when he wrote the book, but we all see things differently so that's okay, right?  Right.  Stephen, the main character was really great.  Not in the sense that he was hott (although he didn't sound too bad looking) but that he was a teenage boy and was really trying to find himself.  This book is definetly gonna be a hit with boys becase, well, let's face it, there aren't many books for teenage boys and this one just really does a great job at grabbing your attention, especially if you're a boy (I mean, just LOOK at that cover, what boy WOULDN'T want to read it?).  The book gives us a shocking look at what could very well happen to our society, on some level it really hits that deep fear that we all have about a plauge being  unleashed upon the US.  The premise of this book is, in my mind, "hell is other people".  When you take humans and put them into dire situations you see who they really are, and maybe all it takes is the end of the world.  I really enjoyed this debut novel because it's really different from most of the YA book on the market because, in the end, you don't get a nice bow, you get life, as in, things don't generally end up nice a neat, they're ugly and broken, but there's room for improvement in life, and that's really what I enjoyed most about this book.  I will admit, it took some time for me to get into it, and I didn't always want to read it ALL the time, but I think we could all learn a little something from this book.  When your life is turned upside down and nothing is like it was maybe the only thing you can do is adapt.


4/5 dust spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment