Friday, August 5, 2011

Review-The Near Witch

Part fairy tale, part romance, and part bedtime story The Near Witch is fully amazing.  There's that spark of recognition in the story that makes you swear you had heard it before but once you read it you know it's all new.  Schwab's debut novel is outstanding and truly beautiful in every way imaginable.  Almost haunting in a way Lexi's story will have you wanting to know if there's a happily ever after in her future.  I was happily pleased by Lexi's character because even though she's a girl she's the kind of girl I like to see in YA literature, the kind that really doesn't take crap from anyone and somehow still manages to stay true to herself while doing it.  She doesn't seem bitchy or whiny and manages to assert herself as a strong lead character and I just loved that.  The description was really amazing and even though I felt it was set years ago I didn't care because it was just such a beautiful story I couldn't seem to bring myself to even be bothered by that, which is usually something that happens to me quite frequently.  I'm sure that this book will quickly become a hit and my advice is to go out and buy it or borrow it from a friend or your local library as soon as possible, because it's just a really great read.  The only reason I don't give this book a full 5 stars is because I just felt like there was something missing.  It was magical and lovely, haunting and romantic, but I just feel that there was that one thing missing.  I can't put my finger on it, and if I could I would tell you what it was, but it was still a really great book and something I think that all fans of the Disney movies and those who like fairy tales should read, because you won't be disappointed.  I can't wait to see what Victoria writes next because I will definitely be checking it out.


4.5/5 dust spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment